Randomized multicentre feasibility trial of intermediate care versus standard ward care after emergency abdominal surgery (InCare trial). BJS 2015; 102: 619-629.
Published: 18th March 2015
Authors: M. Vester‐Andersen, T. Waldau, J. Wetterslev, M. H. Møller, J. Rosenberg, L. N. Jørgensen et al.
Emergency abdominal surgery carries a considerable risk of death and postoperative complications. Early detection and timely management of complications may reduce mortality. The aim was to evaluate the effect and feasibility of intermediate care compared with standard ward care in patients who had emergency abdominal surgery.
This was a randomized clinical trial carried out in seven Danish hospitals. Eligible for inclusion were patients with an Acute Physiology And Chronic Health Evaluation (
In total, 286 patients were included in the modified intention‐to‐treat analysis. The trial was terminated after the interim analysis owing to slow recruitment and a lower than expected mortality rate. Eleven (7·6 per cent) of 144 patients assigned to intermediate care and 12 (8·5 per cent) of 142 patients assigned to ward care died within 30 days of surgery (odds ratio 0·91, 95 per cent c.i. 0·38 to 2·16;
Postoperative intermediate care had no statistically significant effect on 30‐day mortality after emergency abdominal surgery, nor any effect on secondary outcomes. The trial was stopped prematurely owing to slow recruitment and a much lower than expected mortality rate among the enrolled patients. Registration number:
You may also be interested in
Validation of the Norwegian survival prediction model in trauma (NORMIT) in Swedish trauma populations.
Authors: P. Ghorbani, T. Troëng, O. Brattström, K. G. Ringdal, T. Eken, A. Ekbom et al.
Authors: E. H. Wright, M. Tyler, B. Vojnovic, J. Pleat, A. Harris, D. Furniss et al.
Outcomes of surgery for benign and malignant adrenal disease from the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons’ national registry.
Authors: N. Patel, R. J. Egan, B. R. Carter, D. M. Scott‐Coombes, M. J. Stechman, A. Afzaal et al.
Authors: M. Di Paolo, U. Boggi, E. Turillazzi
Authors: S. J. Chapman, M. Aldaffaa, C. L. Downey, D. G. Jayne
Authors: D. Campbell, L. Boyle, M. Soakell‐Ho, P. Hider, L. Wilson, J. Koea et al.
Authors: S. L. Lee, A. Al‐Shamkhani, A. Mirnezami
External validation of a prognostic model to predict survival of patients with sentinel node‐negative melanoma. BJS 2019; 106: 1319-1326.
Authors: N. A. Ipenburg, O. E. Nieweg, T. Ahmed, R. van Doorn, R. A. Scolyer, G. V. Long et al.
Meta‐analysis of randomized clinical trials of early versus delayed cholecystectomy for mild gallstone pancreatitis.
Authors: N. Moody, A. Adiamah, F. Yanni, D. Gomez
Meta‐analysis of the role of colonoscopy after an episode of left‐sided acute diverticulitis. BJS 2019; 106: 988-997.
Authors: S. J. Rottier, S. T. Dijk, A. A. W. Geloven, W. H. Schreurs, W. A. Draaisma, W. A. Enst et al.